Many of my friends keep asking me, How do I run so much? Why do I run? Why I’ve started running? etc. etc. I thought to share it with you through this blog. Today, When I thought about my running history I recollected every blurred memory attached to it. So…
How I Started Running?
In my 10th class, I used to see my father (ex-army man) running. One day I said to my mom that I’ll run faster than father tomorrow. My mom looked at me and said with a smile – son, you’re already faster than your father.
But, the smile on her face was describing something else.
I was not convinced so, next morning I got up early and went for a run, I could still see myself struggling to run even 400m that day. It was a very long distance to me. After finishing my first run, I felt like I beat my father. Although I hadn’t run with him, I’d ran with full energy, I believed that I ran faster than him.
When I told my father about it, he smiled and said – the day when you’ll run faster than me, I’ll be the happiest father of this world. It ignited the fire within me. I started running daily for a VERY LONG period of 6 days.
In 11th, I was sent to a boarding school, where I used to play cricket. The coach used to make us run a loop of 400m synthetic track and I always hated that. I never wanted to do the crazy running warm-up, I just wanted to play cricket. I always abused the coach while running.
When I left school and started preparing for competitive exams, I started getting bored while just sitting and studying. So, with some of my friends, I started running. Slowly, we extended our run to 2-3km. The schedule was kept going till 17 days then I stopped running again.
Once I got into college, I got my laptop and free internet. I left everything and started being in front of the screen 24×7. Soon, I started bunking classes even my meals, many times. I was so addicted to the laptop like there is no other thing in the world.
One day, when I was in 3rd year, I fell in love with someone. Everything was going perfect but the time came when my heart was broken. It was very tough time for me. I was in my worst health condition. At that time, I was 5’11” and 52kgs weight.
On top of that, one day, suddenly I felt pain in my stomach. When I went to the doctor, he told me that there was some problem with my digestive system and it couldn’t digest the food properly. He gave me some medicines and suggested that if I want to get rid of it permanently then I should start doing some physical activities daily.
I again started running and now I wanted to run. Everything began on 7th January 2015. I started working out with two of my lovely friends. One thing I realized was that the last 6 months of my college was better than my whole 20 years life before.
On 25th Jan 2015 a local marathon was going on in Jaipur. Although I didn’t finish it, I enjoyed a lot. This was my first event. I wanted to run in more and more events and finish the run every time. But I didn’t know about events at all. I used to think that marathon happens once a year.
I used to think that marathon happens once a year.
In March, I left running again and started enjoying the last moments of college with my friends. When I finished college and started my corporate life, whenever anybody asked me my hobby, since I was not sure about my hobby so, I said I love to run. and soon I started running again. This time, it was clear in my mind that I want to finish marathons. As whatever my mind can think, I can do. Soon I finished my first half marathon, followed by my first full marathon 🙂
When our corporate started registering for the big event of ADHM(Airtel Delhi Half Marathon), everyone looked up to me and said that he is a runner. This time we will definitely win a medal. Due to the fear of not meeting their expectations I started running again.
This time, it was clear in my mind that I want to finish marathons. As whatever my mind can think, I can do. Soon I finished my first half marathon, followed by my first full marathon, followed by my first ultra marathon 🙂
Why I Still Run?
- Running doesn’t only help in losing weight, it can also help in gaining weight. Now I’m 6 feet tall and 68kgs weight, a lot better condition than I used to be. Yes, I gained weight. Basically, running brings everyone to their best physical state. After each run, I feel hungry so I eat more and I don’t know how? but I gained weight. Also now, I have something that I love so much that it can never break my heart.
- The one person with whom I have to live the most is me so, I should know myself better than anybody else and after each run, I get to know myself better. I build a relationship with myself, I became my best friend.
- Running also helped me to improve myself mentally and physically. Running is also a spiritual experience for me. The one thing that running has taught me is- NEVER EVER GIVE UP.
- After starting my corporate life with an amazing company, one thing started haunting me. My social life has a limit till my office colleagues. I wanted to know more people, I wanted to make more friends. When I started going to running events, I started meeting some awesome people, I made some amazing friends, I got to know people from different walks of life sharing the same passion. I became a part of an amazing runners group (XpressWay Runners) here in Noida, which is full of very amazing personalities.
- I always get inspired by every runner’s guts and dedication. Many times, I also have inspired many friends and family member to take control of their health and many runners too, to achieve their new PB.
- The best thing that happened is, my father said many times that he’s proud of me.
When it comes to events, over the last 5 months, besides practice, I have completed one 5K, two 10K, six-Half Marathons, one 28K trail run, two full marathons and one ultra marathon.
|Date||Event Name||Distance||Finishing Time|
|01/11/15||Freescale Family Run||10K||00:43:38|
|29/11/15||Airtel Delhi Half Marathon||HM||01:39:23|
|26/12/15||Full Moon Marathon||FM||05:36:08|
|27/02/16||5C Corporate Championship||5K||00:19:06|
|28/02/16||New Delhi Marathon||HM||01:40:29|
|13/03/16||Big Chandigarh City Marathon||HM||01:37:35|
|20/03/16||Mount Abu Trail Marathon||HM||01:42:25|
|03/04/16||Thrill Zone Run||10K||00:45:32|
|30/04/16||Nirbhaya Midnight Marathon||FM||03:36:45|
|04/09/16||Pacer for HM in Pinkathon||HM||02:28:42|
|15/10/16||Bhatti Lakes Ultra||80Kms||13:06:00|
|20/11/16||Airtel Delhi Half Marathon||HM||01:47:29|
Although now I run very less because of many things I’m changing in my life. I miss running a lot and I will be back soon with some great things. This is how I started running and I hope, this article has inspired you. One thing I like to say to each runner – YOU ARE AWESOME, I Love You 🙂
Don’t wait until you’ve some problems with your digestive system to start taking control of your health. Just START Running.
Hope you liked my story if so, feel free to share with your friends.
HAPPY RUNNING 🙂